When The Soap Opera was first opened in 1972, the business was created to have a special presence in the community, but also wanted to ensure we served the environment. Selling Eco-friendly products and doing all we can to support the wonderful Earth we live on, is something we will NEVER stop doing.
With that being said, we know many of you are being “smart consumers” and researching the places you spend your money at. We think this a great idea and as consumers ourselves, we also do this when making our own purchases. Here are a few reasons why we would love for you to shop with us, if you care about the environment:
- We have switched to 100% Green renewable energy in our shop. What does that mean? It means we will saves 17 TONS of carbon dioxide from filling our air per year, and it will also stop 16,241 pounds of coal from being burnt. It also means we are a leading partner with our local electrical company MG&E here in Madison to help switch people over to GreenPower. You can see a list of all of MG&E’s “Greenpower” businesses HERE.
- You can re-fill any of our house products to stop the use of one-time use plastic, AND get a discount for doing so! We have everything from body wash, shampoo, lotion, etc that you can have re-filled over and over again, so you are not contributing to the problem of plastic in our world today. Plus all of our house items are extremely natural and or organic, and can come unscented or custom scented to your liking. View our House products HERE.
- If you have your own container you’d like to fill with our house products, we are happy to do so, and give you a discount for doing this! The container MUST be 2oz, 4oz, 8oz, or 16oz however. View our House products HERE.
- We sell many Eco-friendly products. From candles that are completely clean burning, with recycled packaging, with soy ink for printing on the package, to shampoo bars wrapped in recycled paper you can trust the products you’re getting from us have been researched with the environment in mind. Even the “big name brand” products we carry have a positive environmental impact associated with their companies, and will lean more on the natural side, rather than being packed full of random chemicals.
- We have been added to a wonderful shopping list called “Kate’s Madison Salad Blog” Kate has spent a lot of time going around our Madison community to help discover ways you can find items with less or no plastic waste. You’ll see us listed on Many Items you can find with no plastic packaging. You can find Kate’s Blog HERE.
- We use to keep thousands of receipts per year, for every transaction run in the store. We have since digitalized all of these records starting in 2016, and have you sign with your finger on a screen, rather than on a paper receipt. Receipt paper is not great for the environment, and we have gone from going through hundreds of rolls per year, to 10 rolls maximum.
Going completely green is such an easy and affordable thing to do. It gets the stigma of being ” hard and expensive” but trust us, it doesn’t have to be! We are totally committed to being and staying green as a company, and as consumers. We hope you not only join us, but help support us in our mission by being a customer.